Tip of the Month
- Enter your postcode to find out local recycling facilities recyclenow.com
- Telephone Conference Calls -Instead of travelling miles to a meeting, organise a telephone conference call e.g. at Community Network 0207923 5250. This saves time and transport money and reduces CO2 production. - CEL Steering Committee and sub committees use this.
- Don't be afraid to ask for tap water when you are in any food or drink establishment.
- For UK travel use Transport Direct www.transportdirect.info .
This will give you door to door travel between any two towns, villages
or postcodes and give all options including walk, bus, coach and train.
Where bus timetables change it takes them a couple of
weeks to catch up so always double check the website of the local bus
company for latest information, but apart from that it is brilliant. It
will also give CO2 emission comparisons.
Find out how to get to Greenbelt without using the car! If you must use
the car it will also give you a text route and mileage.
- Powering the microwave clock can use more power than heating your food!
- Learn to speak more effectively by Joining a speakers club. Would you like to
• gain more confidence ,
• become an effective speaker,
• have fun
• actually practice the tips given?
Leaders, salespeople, speakers, trainers, clergy, presidential candidates, and ordinary people who are concerned about care of the environment and want to explain it to their friends can all benefit from learning to speak more effectively. Speakers clubs usually meet on evening a fortnight and are fun. They will let you try out your practice speeches - whether it is for a wedding or a public talk....Find out if there is one near you
If you think "I am too shy to give talks" then this is definitely for you - The club will help you loose your shyness.
- Go on a Fungus foray this month. - fun-fresh air - fantastic shapes and colours - Can you help young and very old people go on trips into the countryside?
August 11th 2007
- Be prepared - Put pairs of folded clean used Plastic carrier bags in your handbag/ briefcase/ compartment/ jeans pocket/ pencilcase - do it now! . Also sign up for the petition to put a 10p tax on plastic bags. http://www.green-england.co.uk/plasticbagpetition
July 11th 2007
- Ask for Local Food at the pub or holiday centre you visit. don't be shy! ............ Write a letter afterwards with suggestions. give the centre encouragement - and help create the demand for environmentally good practice.. example
- Invite a foreign student (In this country) for a weekend through "HOST UK " and show them local environmental spots - A chance to:
- See your local environment with new eyes
- Enjoy some aspect of coutryside or environment interest
- Learn a few words of a new language
- Meet a new person, increase international understanding
May 12th 2007
- Take up a new natural history hobby (Picture is Two spot ladybird- Four spot version!)
- Pause every few minutes and look around
April 8th 2007
- Eat less Meat - Online computer game - and many good reasons...
I also recommend the DVD/Videos from Compassion in world Farming for the basisof a discussion evening.
CIWF: Eat Less Meat – It’s Costing the Earth - £5 and ...CIWF: Farm Animals & Us (2) £5-00
April 1st -2007